What is Digital Nottingham?
Digital Nottingham is a key strategic initiative for the University and is core to fulfilling the University Civic objectives. A centre of excellence for the UK based in Nottingham, that will harness the economic and social potential of digital transformation in the City this will be a joint venture with local partners, led by the University of Nottingham – to showcase the University in the city centre and to deliver world class research as well as developing the digital skills of the local community.
Digital Nottingham will be a multi-business, multi-discipline destination hub which will house 4 key areas:
- A continuous professional development (CPD) and digital skills centre. A central hub for the delivery of the University’s range of CPD courses in digital topics such as data science, business data analytics and data visualisation.
- The East Midlands Data and Digital Technologies Centre. An open access community hub with interactive and educational spaces to enable school’s activities to promote digital skills.
- Core research expertise in data science and digital science across a wide range of competencies, including data capture and data structuring, data analysis and triangulation, deriving insights and inferences relevant to a wide range of data and digital stakeholders, and data value across sectors and domains.
- A place for entrepreneurship and business growth. Commercial space for the co-location of companies from a range of digital and data intensive sectors through the provision of Grade A flexible office space.
What Digital Nottingham represents
- An opportunity to support the Levelling Up agenda and the City’s Economic Recovery Plan
- A commitment from the University of Nottingham to support the city as a leading centre for digital entrepreneurship and business start-up.
- A means to create jobs through company formation, to attract international companies to the East Midlands and empower people of all ages to develop skills and understanding in maths, data science, coding, and the value of digital technologies.
The Digital Nottingham story so far: Industry Consultation Phase
Period: November – December 2020
- Cross-sectoral (Construction / Energy / FinTech / Healthcare / Transport / Retail/Bioinformatics/Physics/Science)
- Local corporates (Arup / Blenheim Chalcot / Boots / Capital One / Experian / Infosys)
- Global Industry (Alphabet Inc, ATOS, GSK, IBM, Lloyds, PWC, SAP)
- Local and regional schools and trusts
- Local and regional government agencies and third sector organisations
- Recruitment and retention: the challenge to find appropriate talent and keep them in the region
- Digital skills gap: a lack of people with the right skills and expertise in data science and digital transformation
- Equality and diversity: the need for a more diverse workforce and support for BAME entrepreneurs
- Sustainability: support for the City’s Carbon Neutral agenda
- Central city location
- Easy access to Nottingham’s Railway Station and Tram and Bus network
- Part of a new “Digital Quarter” – with proximity to new HMRC building and Experian and Capital One